April Learning Commons Update

Mrs. Morton – Thank You!

As we move into the final three months of the year, new opportunities for learning and collaborating spring up! The podcast group’s first podcast will be uploaded shortly and they have some plans to interview different people and talk about different events here at SAB over the next three months. As mentioned in a previous post, this is completely driven by student voice! They generate their own topics and they write, direct and produce the final product. Mr. Gard is simply the technical advisor!

The Silver Birch Club is wrapping up another year by voting on favourite titles in both the fiction and non-fiction categories. Some students will be going to the Forest of Reading awards in May for the Silver Birch Fiction winner. This event will be held at The Harbourfront Centre. Mme El Boury is excited to attend with them! What a great way to celebrate Canadian fiction with hundreds of other students!

If you weren’t aware, Sir Adam Beck shares a very special relationship with The Toronto Public Library (largest public library system in the world!) via their Alderwood Branch. We share common space and our teacher-librarian and the staff of TPL work closely together to program different events for the students of SAB. Coming in May, Alderwood will have access to some special pop-up labs. These labs will include virtual reality headsets and programs and various pieces of technology that are cutting edge. Wait for the announcment!

On another note, Kerry Morton, Alderwood’s Branch Head, will be retiring this month! Kerry has put in 40 years of serving people in The Toronto Public Library system. She was the first Branch Head of Alderwood’s new location in the Alderwood complex which Sir Adam Beck shares along with Toronto Parks and Recreation. She has been an invaluable support to our students and staff over the years here and she will be sorely missed! We welcome Anne Campbell as the new Branch Head of Alderwood!

We look forward to finishing up our Innovator’s Club held every Wednesday after school in the school learning common’s conference room. Students have been busy working through Micro:Bit projects, working with Root Robots and Sphero computers. The club ends on the last Wednesday of the month.